- Identify the most important roles in your company both to staff and for succession planning purposes.
- Identify the level of skill your company is ready to pay for.
- Hire a sourcing specialist to identify the top people in your industry in your salary range that are currently doing that work (they are not contacting (unless you want them to) the candidates at this point, merely identifying the best talent). Experienced sourcers will already have very good research in your industry.
- Once you have a list of about 20 people per role, contact them and see if they are or would be interested in working for your company in the future. If you’re currently hiring, recruit right away.
- Make a short list for the future of the candidates that are interested in working with your company for each key role.
- Continue to source for other roles in your company until you have them all done.
- Keep them current and add to the lists.
This will eliminate a lot of the requirements to hire external recruiters, keep your costs down, bring down your time to hire and make you a hero in many managers’ eyes. Imagine, your hiring manager calls you and you already have live pre-qualified passive candidates, not just resumes. No more, let me post an ad comment.
Simple advice but it’s amazing what it will do to your recruitment efforts. Get to it.