For a lot of the opportunities I hire for, I tend to hire for attitude rather than experience. The right attitude of course, the attitude that says I will work my **s off and prove to you that I am worth my pay cheque and future advancement.
Why is it that candidates are so laissez-faire? Why do so many of them only care for the pay cheque, the benefits and the vacation time. Is it because we as employers have failed to provide them with the feeling that we are only after their pound of flesh? That’s a question for another time, but for now let’s discuss why so many candidates cannot convince us they really want to work for our company.
- They have not researched our company.
- Their answer to why this company? is “You pay well” or “I have applied everywhere else”.
- They answer questions while slouched in the chair, with little passion or fire in their voice or belly.
- They cannot convince us of their value proposition: Why should I hire you?
- They have not prepared for the interview, expecting either to get screened out or hired on the spot due to their good looks or smart. Ha!
Listen and listen well candidates. This job is not yours until you prove to us that you will be an incredible asset to our company, that you will respect that we put a roof over your families head and food on your table. That you will work hard and try to learn so you can add value to our company and go beyond day-to-day duties. If you do that we will do everything we can to teach and mentor you, to respect your thoughts and opinions, pay you what you deserve and build an environment that will help you grow and feel secure. So show us attitude and win our respect, we will do the same for you.