Every recruiter evangelist and solutions vendor out there today is banging his drum telling corporations why they need to be on and develop a recruiting strategy for Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and mobile. All I can say is of course! You dont’ need to be one of these evangelist to figure that out. Maybe they have been spending a little too much time in the sun or maybe they have run out of things to talk about.
I f the traffic warrants it and you have the budget of course you have to be there. Talking about stating the bloody obvious. Here are those stats that people keep spewing:
- 5.5 billion mobile phones out there
- 800 million Facebook users
- 116 million LinkedIn users
- 175 million Twitter users
Companies should not be spending their time figuring out if they should be on these platforms but how they should be treating candidates on these platforms. Or better yet, how they should be treating them in the first place in any recruiting process.
Here are my top 5 suggestions:
- Treat me like a customer (because potentially I am).
- Make applying to your company easy (Think Taleo – WRONG).
- Tell me why your company and this job is really different from any other opportunity out there.
- Respond to me in some way shape or form no matter if you don’t think I am a fit (What are you too good for me)?
- Even if you say NO make me feel good anyway (It’s a small world you know).
There will always be a new fad in technology and of course if the traffic is there we should be looking to leverage it for our talent acquisition strategy based on our budgets and priorities but remember to always treat the candidate/customer to the best experience they can have. Your shareholders and future employees will thank you for it no matter what site or medium your recruitment strategy is using.